A bit about

Hello, everyone! All you can see below is just my bank of information. Some material I've found in the fathomless net, some I've learned myself. Don't think all of the information here is right or actual, but may be it could be of use for you :) All feedback is welcome, especially constructive ones :)

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Russian layout in Wine applications

I've tried to solve this problem for a long time. The problem is that in applications executed be means of Wine I can't type in russian layout. Existing text is shown correctly, but as soon as I switch to russian symbols don't appear while I type.

I googled a lot, and saw a lot of different tips about solutions of this problem. Some people say that creating a symlink (ln -s /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8 /usr/share/X11/locale/ru_RU.UTF-8) worked in their case. Other said that copying of TTF fonts from Windows solved the problem. Even export LC_ALL=ru_RU.UTF-8 insted of LC_ALL=ru_RU.utf8 worked in one particular case.

But all of these solutions didn't work for me and I think that there is no universal solution for this problem.

I finally solved it on my computer and the reason was that my LC_ALL variable wasn't set and even when I tried to set it, I always used forms of LC_ALL=ru_RU{...}. Accidentally I tried (just for fun) export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 and somehow it did the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment