A bit about

Hello, everyone! All you can see below is just my bank of information. Some material I've found in the fathomless net, some I've learned myself. Don't think all of the information here is right or actual, but may be it could be of use for you :) All feedback is welcome, especially constructive ones :)

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Windows 7: Arrows on shortcuts

There are 2 problems in one:

  • Big ugly arrows on shortcuts in Windows 7
  • Appending of "Link for" to all newly created shortcuts
Both of them are solved by simply correcting 2 values in Windows registry and adding a new file to a system.

New file is a blank icon (which probably can be created manualy, but I've downloaded it from here). This file, called for example blank.ico, should be put into %systemroot%. Now let's tweak the registry.

To disable arrows, create a key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Shell Icons] and add parameter with RG_EXPAND_SZ type:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Shell Icons]
"29"="C:\\Windows\\Blank.ico,0"


To disable "link for", set:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"link"=hex:00,00,00,00


I tested it on my Windows 7. I'm not sure, but probably this solution also applies for other versions of Windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment