A bit about

Hello, everyone! All you can see below is just my bank of information. Some material I've found in the fathomless net, some I've learned myself. Don't think all of the information here is right or actual, but may be it could be of use for you :) All feedback is welcome, especially constructive ones :)

Friday, September 3, 2010

Man: specify the page to browse

It's just a small notice which can be found in man help. The reason I wrote this post is that it was not evident for me and I spent some time to pick this information from man man.

So, the task is to open a particular man page instead of default one. It can be found in man man:
-S section_list
List is a colon separated list of manual sections to search. This option overrides the MANSECT environment variable.

I used to say "man page" speaking about page numbers, but they call it sections. So, to open the 3rd page for syslog:
man -S syslog
By default, it usually opens syslog(2)

No comments:

Post a Comment